COVERING GENDER-AFFIRMING CARE
- Mayor Mendenhall believes that transgender health care should be a right and extended the city’s health insurance policy to cover gender-affirming surgeries for workers and their families.
FORMALIZING THE CITY’S COMMITMENT TO INCLUSION
- Mayor Mendenhall hired the city’s first Chief Equity Officer and created the Mayor’s Office of Equity and Inclusion to prioritize equitable policy solutions.
- Erin also established an LGBTQ+ liaison in the mayor’s office to ensure direct connectivity with the community.
SPEAKING UP ON BEHALF OF LGBTQ+ UTAHNS
- Mayor Mendenhall has not shied away from using her voice to advocate on LGBTQ+ Utahns behalf, standing up to legislation banning transgender athletes from competing in girls sports, legislation banning gender-affirming care for transgender youth, and more.
EARNING NATIONAL RECOGNITION
- Before Mayor Mendenhall took office, Salt Lake City received only a 66-point score in the Human Rights Campaign’s Municipal Equality Index.
- Mayor Mendenhall committed herself to doing better by the city’s LGBTQ+ workers and residents, and under her leadership, the city has earned its first (and second) 100-point scores.